If you’re a Young Nigerian, between the ages of 18-35, you are termed Youth, and it is already common knowledge that the Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday in Abuja approved the establishment of an N75billion Nigerian Youth Investment Fund (NYIF) to support enterprise among Nigeria’s 68 million youth between 18 and 35.
But you see, that exactly is not where I am going to.
Please follow me while I digress a little.
June 20th, 2020, NDDC Acting MD Prof. Pondei fainted while being interrogated by the House Committee on NDDC, and during the brouhaha, we were rowdily told he won’t be invited again.
An hour later, the Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Senator Godswill Akpabio dropped a BOMBSHELL implicating the same set of senators grilling him.
As usual, it became NEWS MATERIAL, we all laughed, and the youths most importantly did, applying their ingenuity in creating memes, comedy scripts, skits and even songs mimicking the scenario.
Just like other serious issues, this will also pass, especially with BBN on air (dictating our conversations and attention) and with no reasonable or firm resolve to bring the culprits to book.
Do you even know that none of the individuals in question was between the ages of 18-35.
You see my Guy, the youth needs to change the narrative of this country. Our age group makes up a majority percentage of the Nigerian population but she seems to be powerless.
To truly change the narrative, the youth must be empowered.
It is ONLY the person standing, that can LIFT the person fallen to the ground.
Now back to my first line, and connecting the digression, the youth needs to do the following to become empowered so as to change the narrative.
- Think through in your quiet, your gifts, skills, passion etc and decide for yourself what you want to become.
- Invest your time in applying yourself to knowledge about the current applications of that skill you have or acquiring in order to become what you want to become.
- Get a mentor within that area, volunteer and commit yourself to hands-on training with regards to that skill, keeping track of photos and activities that define this moment.
- Get a company registered with CAC as an enterprise, it just takes N5,500 and can be done within 48 hours.
- Create your own voice to sell something. This you can do by starting the smallest way you can and finding the lowest entry point of that your chosen area.
- Utilize social media to increase your FAN BASE, and thus your voice.
- Tap into the avalanche of funding opportunities currently available to scale, and if you cannot, then devise a crowd-funding approach.
- Participate very actively or actively in the politics of your Ward, L.G.A, and state. This you can do in many ways including advocacy. If you can not, utilize your skill’s sector as your own advocacy ground. e.g. Agricultural Sector, Finance Sector etc.
- Do not join the band wagon because in 10 years time, those who towed that path will no longer be relevant. Yes. Revolutionary change will surely erode them. Also remember you are not HUNGRY and cannot be if you followed Steps 1-6.
- Deploy your talents, gifts and resources in changing the narrative in your own way.
Together, we can change this COUNTRY!
It begins with ME!