The pharaoh of Egypt launches their campaign to secure their record eighth African Cup of nation title on Friday after securing a 1-0 victory over Zimbabwe in their country capital in the first match of the competition.
A brilliant goal from Mahmoud Trezeguet Hassan in the 41st minute was enough to give the Egyptians a win.
The stadium was filled with 75,000 crowds who gave a roaring reception after the mention of Mohamed Salah.
Egyptian coach Javier Aguirre said he is satisfied with the performance of his players.
“Our performance against Zimbabwe was satisfactory, but we left many spaces in the midfield,” Aguirre said in his post-match press conference.
“The opponents’ movements were very fast and caused us a lot of problems. Zimbabwe’s performance improved in the second half. We played against a very organized team.
“We missed many clear-cut chances, including Mohamed Salah’s one-on-one chance.
“Our performance dropped in the second half due to the pressure we faced as well as fatigue.
“Zimbabwe had nothing to lose after conceding, which made them attack and create chances. We will work on fixing the problems in the upcoming games.
“We must win every game if we want to achieve our main target, which is the title.”
Egypt had 16 shots, 9 shots on target, 60% Ball possession, 534 passes, 81% ball accuracy, 0 yellow card, 0 red card, 0 Offside and 7 corners.
- Champions League: Vinicius Brace Guides Real Madrid To 3-1 Win Over Liverpool
- UFC Champion Israel Adesanya Buys His Dad A Bentley A Week After He Bought His Mom Porsche
- 2021 AFCON: Super Eagles Beats Benin Squirrels 1-0 To Qualify For African Cup of Nation
- Transfer News: Coutinho To Arsenal To Deny Liverpool Millions; ‘Next Mane’
- Champions League: Lionel Messi Misses Penalty As Barcelona Fail In Latest PSG Comeback Attempt
Zimbabwe had 11 shots, 2 shot on target, 40% ball possession, 364 Passes, 75% pass accuracy 10 fouls, 1 Yellowcard, 0 red cards, 1 Offside and 2 corners.
The man-of-the-match was awarded to Mahmood Alaa.